|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
Needham house. It was located at the junction of the old Newburyport Turnpike and Lowell Street. It was demolished in 1966.
Old Needham House, corner of Lowell and Newbury Streets. The first Needham house was built c. 1665 by Anthony Needham for his wife, Ann Potter. When it burned down, he built this house in 1665. It stood until 1966 when it was torn down for a gas station.
Both Needhams were Quakers and prosecuted as such in South Danvers.
After Anthony Needham's death in 1757, the house passed to his son Jasper. And Jasper left it to Stephen in 1794. When Stephen died in 1801, he left it to his son Jasper. Because of the amount of traffic traveling along the Newburyport Turnpike, the house became a tavern and store. After Jasper's death in 1807, his widow, Mary Needham, married Joseph Shed who served as Town Clerk. The house and land passed to her son, Elias Needham. He became a shoemaker and added a leanto to the house. Joseph Shed Needham was the next owner and after his death in 1900, the property went to his daughter Sarah. She was a school teacher.
The last person to live in the house was Julia Needham Brooks Fischer.
|Copyright||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
|Subjects||Peabody (Mass.) - History|