|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
Hallway in Prescott House.
Benjamin Prescott House, located at 72 Central Street.
The house was built in 1749 to 1750 by Sir William Pepperell for his sister, Mary, who married Rev. Prescott in 1748. After Prescott's death in 1777, it passed to his son, Benjamin Jr. who died one year later. It then went to Benjamin Jr.'s son, Henry, who sold it in 1782 to John Moriarty. Moriarty ended up by mortgaging the house to a number of people, Phineas Smith, James Annis and Samuel Phippen. Annis ended up selling his portion to Jonathan Osborne in 1790. The northern part of the house remained in the Osborne family until 1893.
Phippen sold the southern part of the house to Jonas Stevens in 1805 who sold it to Daniel Frye in 1812 who then sold it to Joshua Buxton in 1815. Mary Jane Buxton was born in the house in 1820 and died in the same house in 1915. She was a member of the Women's Christian Temperence Union.
After Mary Jane Buxton's death, the house was sold in 1922 to Robert Pierce of Highland Park. Ironically, it was often used as an illegal distillery and suffered a fire on July 4, 1924. Because the house was partially damaged, owner decided to raze it to make way for the Prescott apartment building.
|Title||Benjamin Prescott House|
|Copyright||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
|Subjects||Peabody (Mass.) - History|