A postcard of Peabody City Hall. The building was completed in 1883 and dedicated on November 22, 1883, and has been in contunous use even since. The cost of the building was $108,000. About $84,000 was used for the building and $24,000 for the land and curbing.
The basement was the jail for Peabody. In order to build the hall five houses had to be destroyed. The first floor has the offices for the town. On the second floor is where mayors office along with chief-of-staff and HR departments. Also on the second floor is the "opera house." The lighting for the auditorium was by a large chandelier in the center. The City Council meets in this area and has hosted: town meetings; minstrel shows; pageants; receptions, celebrations; plays; fire & police balls; and a boxing match.
The town hall was much bigger than the needs of Peabody at the time, but the building was designed to be able to grow and expand as needed.In 1966 the, now, City Hall went under renovation and the Peabody Historical Commission worked to place the building on the National Register of Historic Places
|Title||City Hall, Peabody, Mass.|
|Place||Peabody, MA/Peabody City Hall|
|Copyright||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
Peabody (Mass.)--History--Politics and government
Peabody (Mass.)--Buildings, Structures, Monuments, etc.--Pictorial works.