|Object Name||Report, Administrative|
|Scope & Content||
Town meeting records.
Include town accounts, votes for federal and state offices as well as for town officials including Town Moderator, Clerk, Selectmen, Constables, Tythingmen, Surveyors of Highways, Overseers of the Poor, Fence-viewers, Haywards, Clerks of the Market, Surveyors of Lumber, Deer-reeves, Sealer of Leather, Poundkeepers, Alewives, Hog-reeves and Sealer of Weights and Measures.
These meetings dealt with the day to day affairs of running a town. During these years the most pressing issues facing the town were the need to raise taxes and the creation and maintenance of roads. The creation of roads included specific measurements for how they were laid out. No names were then used, but determining which roads they are can be done. Repair of bridges were also crucial as well as the needs of the poor in town. Included with the minutes were any school committee minutes, fire department reports and board of health reports.
Also discussed in these meetings were any disputes between neighbors regarding property lines.
March 6, 1843, discussion of erecting new Almshouse.
Also mention of the possibility of naming of the streets in town.
May 26, 1843, Committee elected to review Almshouse situation recommended searching for a site and building new house, as the old one was beyond reasonable repair. Intention to have it completed by fall of 1844 with a projected expense of $7500.
Nov. 13, 1843 meeting regarding the naming of streets.
March 4, 1844, decision for town to purchase a salamander safe (one able to resist fire) and for the Overseers to purchase four acres of land in Lynn from an Abigail King
April 8, 1844, Temperance vote once again taken.
Same meeting records table of episodes of smallpox and the families where it occurred. Includes report of the spread of disease by Board of Health as well as expenses incurred by town in the care of sick by physicians, nurses and those needed to bury those who died.
This meeting includes a fairly detailed report from the Fire Department, listing the fires and places of occurrence.
Jan. 23, 1845 meeting first mentions petition by David Pingree regarding the railroad through Danvers and Salem.
March 3, 1845, discussion regarding the need for a new cemetery as the old grave yard was full.
Discussion of reservoir begin in March meeting and continued in April 1845 meeting.
March 2, 1846, resolution read regarding frustrations mounting over branch railroad not being built. Because they felt it was a deliberate oversight by a monopoly, the town offered to build the railroad themselves.
The Nov. 12, 1846 meeting mentions flooding on Lowell St.
Feb. 3, 1847 Special Meeting called to send to state legislature remonstrance to protest proposed altering of town boundary to take from South Danvers a certain amount of property, which included burial ground.
Dec. 16, 1847 meeting includes resolves on Mexican War, condemning it. And also resolve approving measures to have railroad brought to Danvers.
March 6, 1848, brought before the town once again the need to make Waters, Crane and Porters Rivers navigable. Report was accepted by meeting.
Nov. 20, 1848 meeting returned to the controversy regarding the change in the boundary line between Danvers and Salem. The town drew up a plan, to leave Harmony Grove in Salem and the old Burying Ground in South Danvers. The plan was submitted for approval.
Feb. 8, 1849 meeting resolved not to allow further adjustments in town boundary, unless entire territory of South Danvers be annexed to Salem. Anything short of that was viewed as an inconvenience.
Report on reservoirs included in March 26, 1849 minutes.
April 2, 1849 meeting includes report by Temperance Committee.
April 9, 1849 meeting reports the creation of a Patrol Watch, to insure safety of town.
Same meeting includes resolves against slavery.
Aug. 28, 1849 meeting includes By-Laws and Rules for Almshouse.
Also includes first call to solicit any who could be police officers in town.
Feb. 1, 1850, Resolves against possible boundary changes between South Danvers and Salem.
March 4, April 1 and April 8, 1850 meetings make mention of subject of high school.
Feb. 3, 1851 petition from Salem and Lowell Railroad included.
April 14, 1851 includes Fitch Poole's amendment to change School District system.
Sept. 22, 1851 meeting mentions possibility of buying land near Almshouse.
Same meeting includes instructions to Firewards to build reservoir.
And to nominate committee to begin the preparations to celebrate Danvers's centennial.
March 1, 1852, town accepted Centennial Committee report and voted to appropriate five hundred dollars for event.
June 28, 1852 has copy of letter from George Peabody regarding the first donation to the town for the creation of the Peabody Institute.
Centennial Committee report was published along with intention to invite Sylvester Proctor, as suggested by Peabody, to lay cornerstone of new building.
Election of trustees occurs and resolutions resulting from donation are included in minutes.
Feb. 28, 1853 meeting includes request by Harmony Grove cemetery that town boundary between Danvers and Salem be altered. Voted to allow such petition and forward their acceptance to state legislature.
April 9, 1853, mention of Town Clerk, Joseph Shed's death.
April 25, 1853 instruction to hire Charles Northend as school superintendent.
Also town calls for vote as to location of Peabody Institute, the choices being the Sutton or Wallis lot and the Webster and Safford lot.
May 4, 1853 vote for four places: Crowninshield lot--four votes;
Corner of Elm St.--46 votes
Sutton lot-- eight-nine votes
Webster & Safford lot--One hundred twenty-eight votes
One hundred thirty-five were necessary for a majority.
Vote was made to make offer for Wallis Street lot and if not possible to try to obtain Crowninshield lot.
Feb. 6, 1854 meeting mentions death of Gideon Foster and intention of town to honor his memory.
Same meeting mentions further donation from George Peabody as well as the creation of the Peabody Medal.
March 6, 1854 meeting voted to create committee to begin lighting the streets with gas lights.
Same meeting has resolves to honor George Peabody for his generosity to town.
March 20, 1854 mention of new school houses for High Schools.
Later meetings order two high schools built.
Feb. 6, 1855 meeting has resolve to divide Danvers into two towns.
April 9, 1855 meeting has report on Goldthwaite's Brook and need for expansion of culvert.
Same meeting has report on improvement for Grove Street as well as report for guide boards (Signs to guide travelers through town), report on naming of streets, on the surplus revenue fund, the Peabody Donation.
The Act Dividing the Town of Danvers included here as well.
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research area.|
|Physical characteristics||Bound, handwritten volume.|
|Creator||Town of Danvers|
|Title||Records of Danvers|
|Level of description||Item|
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
Poor - Massachusetts--Danvers--History--Sources.
South Danvers (Mass.)--History--Sources
Peabody (Mass.)--History--Politics and government - Sources