|Scope & Content||
Plan shows proposed road, called Dark Lane, beginning at 28 Northend Street and linking up with Seneca Street.
The proposed road was never completely built, but became Dark Lane which is a dead end. Dark Lane was not listed in the street directories until 1961 and named only one resident with the few other houses that were on the lane vacant.
The Edward McCarthy living on Northend Street died Feb. 19, 1918. Mary McCarthy was living at 28 Northend Street. The East End Playground on plan is Connolly Park.
The Mannix on the plan could be either Elizabeth M. Mannix, listed at the rear of 26 Northend Street with a business there or Thomas E. Mannix, a farm hand, who was also listed at the rear of 26 Northend Street.
According to the Peabody Paragraph, March 7, 1919 the city council voted to discontinue the use of the standpipe on Buxton hill and release all its right, etc. to the Essex Trap Rock & Construction Co. Along with a payment of $2000, a discount of five cents a ton on stone sold to the city was the transfer of 3 1/2 acres of land in the East End, adjoining the playgrounds and the A. B. Clark estate.
The trustee of the estate agrees that if the city lays out a road from Northend street to Gardner park in two years, they would give the city a right of way to that street. The area on Buxton hill to which the city released its rights was about one acre and was cut down for crushed rock. This hill was originally acquired by Peabody on July 12, 1881 and then a 500,000 gallon iron tank was installed. Once a concrete reservoir was erected on Lookout hill, 40 feet higher than tank, it was used only as an auxiliary and by 1919 not at all.
Frank Emerson was the city engineer who did the survey on March 6, 1919. The original map may have been lost because this is copy of the original that was traced by George A. Barnaby in May of 1929.
Plan No. 231
Section No. 2
Note: Total Sheets 2
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research Room.|
|Title||Location of Proposed New Road from Northend to Seneca Street, Peabody|
|Level of description||Item|
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
|Size||46 x 71.12 cm|