|Scope & Content||
Plan is a rough sketch of Northfields area of Peabody, near Prescott Hill. Wallis Street is included as well as a Prescott Street which may be present day Tremont Street.
The survey was done by John W. Proctor by order of the County Commissioners on the petition of Henry Poor, et.al.
The map is color coded: red lines represent the new location; black dotted lines represent Walls and other fences and division lines are drawn by observation, not survey.
New location begins at a point on the easterly side of Wallis St. 28 feet southerly of the southeasterly corner of the House of J. S. Sibley, thence on the centre line of the location S. 83 degrees E (by compass) 800 feet, to the Easterly corner of W. Merrill's field; laying the road 25 feet in width, on each side of this line. Widening begins at the point last mentioned, thence the centre line runs in the centre of the present way, nearly S 66 degrees E. 472 feet - S. 62 degrees E. 450 feet - S. 63 degrees E. 290 feet - S. 59 degrees E. 667 feet - S. 57 degrees E. 422 feet - and then passing near the Southerly side of the lane S 52 degrees E. 760 feet to the South Westerly corner post of the Garden fence of George H. Devereux; the way being laid fifty feet in width throughout; taking as nearly as practical equal quantities of land on each side; and requiring all the fences to be moved, excepting that against the land off Harrington.
This is a duplicate of the orginal. It is unknown what happened to the original. The land was surveyed byJohn W. Proctor in December of 1829 and created on February 16th, 1860. The map was traced from the original by George A. Barnaby in December of 1928.
One 28 x 18" Starched Linen Map.
Plan No. 62
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research Room.|
|Physical characteristics||Starched Linen Map|
|Creator||George A. Barnaby|
|Title||Plan of Northfields area of Peabody.|
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|