|Scope & Content||
Contains the records of the School District, for the years 1836-1854, including any votes from the Town Meeting that would affect the school, list of voters within district, documents recording the swearing in of clerks and any business relating to the running of the school house within their district. Teachers hired and those who resigned also included.
Alterations to original school building were made in 1836 because there was not enough funds to build new school. These included reshingling the roof, new windows, laying new floor and repairing ceiling, purchasing new stove and installing a new interior door.
In 1837, the schoolhouse was opened to be used for public lectures and meetings.
1838, voted to prohibit children younger than four from attending school.
1841, discussion to build new schoolhouse resumed and by 1842, it was completed at a cost of $1205.21. A. Taylor was hired to build school, John Needham laid stonework and Charles Dearborn sold them the stove and funnel.
By 1849, discussion returned to enlarging school but funds weren't available. In 1852, repairs were completed and in 1853, a great deal of discussion centered on the need for alterations due to the increase in students. Despite the need, both for the expansion and for a well, both were voted down due to lack of funds. It came up for vote again in 1854 and was again voted down.
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research Room.|
|Creator||Peabody School Committee, District 12|
|Title||School District Twelve Records|
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
School District Twelve--South Danvers (Mass.)
South Danvers (Mass.)
South Danvers (Mass.)--History
South Danvers (Mass.)--Schools
South Danvers (Mass.)--Town Records