|Scope & Content||
Map shows the proposed housing lots on the Southerly side coming off of Lowell Street between present day Orchard Street and what appears to be Thorndike Street. The lots are owned by J.A. King Estate. There are a total of 17 lots on this map.
Ellen Street in map is the present day Thorndike Street. (Salem Evening News, Feb. 5, 1915)
Ellsworth Road--at the other end of Thorndike Street--was extended for the creation of James and Augustus Streets (named for James Augustus King who died in 1908).
The Orchard Street on map also seems to connect with what was then Ellen Street, which is not the case today. In 1914, after the plan was drawn, the town approved the laying out of Orchard Street for a distance of five hundred feet (Salem Evening News, Jan. 30, 1914). According to the scale on the map, this would have only allowed the construction of the first part of the street, not for the section that turned at a right angle and joined Ellen, aka Thorndike Street.
There is only one resident listed on Orchard Street in 1914, a Mrs. M. E. Osgood. In 1918, C. E. Joll is listed as a resident of Orchard Street.
The house on the corner of Orchard and Lowell Street and owned by C. F. Foss was at the then 178 Lowell Street.
The C. H. Clark on map was traced incorrectly. It was Mrs. C. B. Clark. The same is true for F. H. Sanger on map. It is really E. H. Sanger.
The land was surveyed by Osborn Palmer and draughted by Henry A King on July 21, 1913. This may be a duplicate because the originals location is unknown. Also this map was retraced by George A. Barnaby in April of 1929.
Plan No. 221
Total sheets 1
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research Room.|
Plan of House Lots On Southerly Side of Lowell Street, Peabody
Owned by J. A. King Estate
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
Foss, Charles F.
Clark, Mrs. C. B.
Southwick, H. O.
Sanger, E. H.
Donovan, J. J.
Manning, D. J.
Batchelder, H. K.
Nichols, E. S.
Joll, C. E.
Osgood, C. S.