|Object Name||Report, Administrative|
|Scope & Content||
Town meeting records.
Include town accounts, votes for federal and state offices as well as for town officials including Town Moderator, Clerk, Selectmen, Constables, Tythingmen, Surveyors of Highways, Overseers of the Poor, Fence-viewers, Haywards, Clerks of the Market, Surveyors of Lumber, Deer-reeves, Sealer of Leather, Poundkeepers, Alewives, Hog-reeves and Sealer of Weights and Measures.
These meetings dealt with the day to day affairs of running a town. During these years the most pressing issues facing the town were the need to raise taxes and the creation and maintenance of roads. The creation of roads included specific measurements for how they were laid out. No names were then used, but determining which roads they are can be done. Repair of bridges were also crucial as well as the needs of the poor in town. Included with the minutes were any school committee minutes.
Also discussed in these meetings were any disputes between neighbors regarding property lines.
In 1823, the discussion regarding town residents being required to pay a toll to use the Newburyport Turnpike arose.
In 1824, the poorhouse was repaired and a committee was gathered to see whether an addition was in order.
Also in 1824, work was taken to widen Poole's Bridge as well as to have a pump installed because of the impurity of the water.
In 1826, the town nominated various committees to review accounts for both the towns and its agencies.
Copies of binding agreements for citizens of town to maintain certain sections of their fences.
On Feb. 27, 1827 a copy of the act regarding the regulations for the Danvers Town meetings was recorded. Beginning with that year, the votes for the majority of Selectmen and officers for the town would be chosen from the north section of town, with the minority being from the south. In 1828, the opposite would hold. That is, the majority of town officers would be elected from the southern part of the town and the minority from the north. From then on, the elections would continue to alternate, allowing both sections of Danvers to have a chance to have officials from their section of town.
That same year a committee was elected to look into finding a better location for the town's poor and to investigate other options for their support.
In 1828, the meeting considered the possibility of having post offices in town, and if so whether two would be the best solution available. On April 28, they resolved to have two post offices, one between South Meeting House and Poole's Bridge and the other in New Mills.
In 1829, committee elected to look into purchasing land for new poorhouse or to make repairs and additions on old poorhouse.
In the same year, the town authorized the clerk to procure books for the recording of vital records.
On Oct. 19, 1829, Fitch Poole Jr. was elected to school committee. He asked to be excused from committee but he was not excused.
In 1830, town voted whether to accept act to establish a fire department in Danvers. The act for establishing a fire department in Danvers appears in the March 12, 1830 minutes.
On March 5, 1832, the town voted to erect a fence around the Almshouse and workshops and to require residents there to obtain permission from the Overseers before being allowed to leave the property.
In the same year, a vote was passed to create index to town records which were to be rewritten in a clean hand and rebound.
In March of 1833, town voted to stop issuing licenses for the serving of alcohol.
Nov. 18, 1835 meeting vote to build new school house for District One, repair the school in District Ten and to build and repair schools in Districts Two, Eight, Nine and Twelve.
March 7, 1836, resolve by the state legislature to build an Eastern Massachusetts railroad, it was voted to petition for Danvers to be included in the route to be laid.
April 4, 1836, appeal of Ladies Temperance group read to meeting which resulted in nomination of Temperance committee to deal with the situation.
First annual report of the Fire Department, April 18, 1836.
April 3, 1837 meeting voted to remove all dram shops from within borders to prevent the sale and consumption of alcohol.
Nov. 17, 1838, petition to grant compensation to the heirs of Fitch Poole, Sr. regarding the injury done to estate by the raising of the road.
Feb. 2, 1840, committee elected to review the boundary between Salem and Danvers.
March 2, 1840 meeting voted to require clerk to go from house to house to obtain the births, marriages and deaths of those people who had not previously been included in the Danvers statistics. (Possibility of records in Sutton Room's origin.)
April 6, 1840, order for the first printing of School Reports made.
Regulations for the Overseers of the Poor in April 20, 1840 minutes.
In same meeting, vote to allow boundary change between Salem and Danvers. (Which relocated Isaac Bullock house from Danvers to Salem)
In same meeting, report of committee elected April 1, 1839, as to establishing a high school in the town accepted. In report, it simply recognized the need and that something should be done. No specific measures outlined.
Also voted to obtain a list of all children living in town who were eligible for school.
March 1, 1841 meeting elected committee to spend money from Beverly Bridge Corporation on whether the Water's, Crane and Porter's Rivers could be made more navigable.
April 5, 1841 meeting considered petition of Samuel Preston for the building of two reservoirs which was voted down at May 5, 1841 meeting, due to lack of funds.
At same meeting, order to create index of town records made, along with instructions for index to be continued for future meetings.
Sept. 8, 1841, vote by town to prohibit all smoking of pipes or cigars in public. Same meeting orders to insure that every family had two fire buckets.
Fitch Poole elected as representative to the General Court on
Nov. 8, 1841.
March 7, 1842 meeting voted to have two hearses available for people needing them.
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research area.|
|Physical characteristics||Bound, handwritten volume.|
|Creator||Town of Danvers|
|Title||Records of Danvers|
|Level of description||Item|
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
Poor - Massachusetts--Danvers--History--Sources.
South Danvers (Mass.)--History--Sources
Peabody (Mass.)--History--Politics and government - Sources