|Object Name||Records, School|
|Scope & Content||
The report relative to the High School, April 8, 1850, reports on the committee's recommendation that because of the expanse of the town, two high schools would be needed to meet the requirements of potential students.
The one in the South Parish (Peabody) was opened June 5, 1850 in the Vestry of the Unitarian Church. And by May 1, 1855, the Peabody High School was built and occupied.
A brief note regarding the decision of the committee to limit the studies to three years for all students but those in the classical program resulted in the exclusion of five students from the school. Eugene Hinkley, the first teacher there, protested this decision by stating if the students were forced to leave, he would resign. He did on April 23, 1855.
The remainder of the book contains the list of teachers and students, along with grades received and personal notes for some who married or died during the term.
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research Room.|
|Physical characteristics||One handwritten bound volume.|
|Creator||Peabody High School|
|Title||High School Report and Register.|
|Level of description||Item|
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
Hinkley, Eugene B.
Colcord, John W.
Cushman, Chester L.
Babson, Robert E.
Thompson, William L.
Perkins, A. C.
Carleton, Isaac N.
Dane, Henry A.
Ham, James N.
Bergen, J. Y., Jr.
Holbrook, C. A.
High School--United States--Massachusetts--Danvers