|Scope & Content||
Internal memo to the clerks in Peabody. Lists the requiements to vote. The date has been crossed out was October 2, 1973 changed to Sept. 10, 1974. Falls in line with the 26th Amendment. Among the other notes.
1. There is no time element involved in residency. (1 hour or 1 day.)
2. There is no longer a literacy test. (You may not -underlined- ask them to read or write as formerly)
3. There is no longer a requirement that naturalization paper be produced, or any other identification. (Their oath alone as to citizenship and other eligibilities is sufficient)
4. Physical disabilities are no bar. (If a person is blind or in any way crippled or deformed, another registered voter fo the City of Peabody may preform the registration act.)
5. Should you have any questions about a particular registration, please make a note of the same and we well check it out through the City Clerk's Office.
A hand written note in red reads " Watch Date of Birth - anyone born on or after Sept. 10, 1974 cannot register for primary."
|Access Conditions||Restricted to use in Sutton Room or Research area.|
|Creator||James Dennis Leary - Peabody City Clerk|
|Title||Basic Requirements for Registering to Vote|
|Level of description||Item|
|Copyrights||All copyrights belong to the Peabody Institute Library, Peabody, MA|
|Collection||Local History Resource Center|
Peabody (Mass.)--City Hall
Peabody (Mass.)--City Clerk
Voter Register--United States--Massachusetts--Peabody
|Relation||Show Related Records...|